Scanning Tunneling Microscopy
Zhihuai (Jason) Zhu, Yang He
- Simple explanation of STM (no equations)
- Technical explanation of STM
- Measurements we can make with an STM
We have constructed a custom low temperature scanning tunneling microscope with the following features optimized for the study of cleavable correlated electron materials:
- Surface preparation: In-situ, low temperature sample cleaver for exposing a clean sample surface in a cryogenic ultra-high vacuum (UHV) environment.
- Vibration isolation: floating room, floating table.
- Temperature: At present we have tested temperatures from 1.2K up to 50K. We are in the process of implementing a 3He system, which will run down to 500 mK in continuous operation. Our STM can track the same atomically resolved locations throughout the temperature range.
- Magnetic field: 9 Tesla vertical, and 3 Tesla rotatable in-plane. Our STM can track the same atomically resolved locations as the field is swept over the full range.